Know Before You Go:
Purchase a permit for the U.S. Forest Service including Sulphur Ranger District in the Arapaho National Forest and the Elk Creek Cutting area (see below)
You can also cut trees at Snow Mountain Ranch: November 24 - December 17, 2023
Read the U.S. Forest Service's Christmas Tree cutting webpage
Stay in designated areas. Review the 2023 Christmas Tree Cutting Guide.
Do NOT cut the tops of the trees off
Purchase Permits Online - NOTE: You are required to print your permit and have it on-hand.
Sulphur Ranger District Only
- The Arapaho National Forest will allow tree cutting November 9th – January 7th. Permits will be available for purchase online on November 9th. Check out the Arapaho National Forest map.
- Elk Creek Cutting Area will be open 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Dec. 1st - 10th. The Sulphur Ranger District will staff the cutting area Dec. 2, 3, 9, & 10. Purchase your permit prior to arriving at the cutting area, permits are not available onsite. Elk Creek map.
- Download the U.S. Forest Service's Christmas Tree cutting guidelines, tips & tricks
- Prior to heading out, be sure to download forest maps onto your smart phone through Avenza, available in the app store. This app works even when there isn’t cell service and will help you make sure you don’t cut trees on private property or prohibited areas. Most roads will be closed to motor vehicles after Nov. 15, but snowmobiles or skis may be used to access some areas. Make sure the Forest Service Road you plan to drive is open using our Road Status Tables.
Christmas Tree permits will sell for $20 each (limit of 5 per person). You can purchase permits online (you'll need a printer) or at the Grand County locations below. Please note, the Grand County outlets selling permits often have varying and limited quantities of permits each day. Online purchase and at-home print out is recommended.
- Online | (NOTE: You are required to print your permit and have it on-hand)
- Country Ace Hardware | (970.410.1744) | Granby
- Fireside Market & Eatery | (970.363.7750) | Winter Park
- Grand Lake Visitor Center | (970.627.3402) | Grand Lake
- Murdoch’s Ranch and Home Supply | (970.726.2029) | Fraser
- Winter Park & Fraser Information Center | (970.726.4118) | Winter Park
Please review the tree-cutting area map, the Sulphur Ranger District has reduced tree-cutting areas in Grand County this year due to wildfire area closures. All information is available at the Arapaho & Roosevelt National Forest's website.
Purchase PRE-CUT Christmas Trees:
While in Winter Park: