Save Big and Play Big
Looking for some of the best winter deals in Colorado? One of Colorado’s most accessible, convenient and scenic playgrounds, Winter Park and the surrounding valley, is also one of the most affordable and family-friendly destinations. Check out our favorite budget activities, events & more —all for $20 or less! Pick your favorites and go play!
Winter Park & Fraser enables families to vacation big time in Colorado without spending big bucks!
With activities like tubing & sledding, skiing & snowshoeing, ice skating, and museum-going, you’ll never run out of playtime in Winter Park. Check out our 25 activities for $20 or less.
- Winter Park Carnival & Mary Jane’s Birthday Bash brings an annual parade and fireworks show in downtown Winter Park.
- Free live music happens every week throughout the valley. View our online event calendar and find out who’s playing during your stay.
- Free caroling in the Village at Winter Park Resort and Granby Ranch during the holiday season.
- Grand Dog Days of Winter takes place at Grand Park in Fraser and is free for spectators. It’s also well worth it to gain a unique inside view of sled dog teams from around the U.S. who come to the area as a part of their annual racing circuit.
- Free children’s sledding hill at Hideaway Park across from the Winter Park Visitor Center in downtown Winter Park. Sleds are available at the hill and are first come first serve. Please remember there is no supervision at the park so keep an eye on the kiddos!
- Free sleigh rides at Cooper Creek Square during the winter season.
- Free ice skating rinks are available at Cooper Creek Square and Winter Park Resort. Skates are available for rent on site.
- Rocky Mountain National Park offers free guided snowshoe hikes or cross country ski trips. Just be sure to call ahead; reservations are required 970.586.1206.
- Jump in the car for a short scenic drive over to the Grand Lake Nordic Center where you can enjoy their free tubing/sledding hill. A limited amount of equipment is available for use on a first come first serve basis, so if you don’t want to risk it, be sure to bring your own gear.
- Visit the snow-scoot track at Grand Adventures and pay $15 for 15 minutes of pure joy for your kiddos as they race around the groomed track outside Beaver Village Lodge.
- Snowshoes are available for rent at reasonable rates at many local ski shops. Grab a free trail map at the Winter Park Information Center before you head out.
- Spend a little on a day pass for the Grand Park Community Recreation Center where you can play all day with an indoor swimming pool, water slide, climbing wall, fitness equipment, and oooooh the best part—a hot tub and sauna to warm you up from those chilly winter temps.
- Mountain Moon Yoga Studio located at Winter Park Station offers a variety of free, donation-based yoga classes.
- View a full list of fitness centers in the area to plan some indoor fun this winter.
- Strike out on your own for a winter hike, snowshoe or cross country ski using our multi-use trail map to guide you. View maps for each activity, or stop by the Winter Park Information Center to pick up a copy for yourself.
- Cozens Ranch Museum in Fraser was the original homestead established in the valley and now serves as a community historical museum. Visit the museum Wed-Sat 10am-5pm. Check for special events; they often host guest speakers and special presentations.
- The Pioneer Village Historical Museum in Hot Sulphur Springs (about 45 minutes from Winter Park) is open Wed-Sat from 10am-4pm
- Feeling artsy? Take a gallery tour filled with original pieces from our regional artists! Elkhorn Art Gallery, Elizabeth Kurtak Fine Art Gallery, and WP Framewerx are all located in Winter Park and Fraser. View a full list of Galleries here, or view a gallery map to start your art walk tour!
- The Fraser Valley Library is a great place to find a nook and a new favorite book, then relax by their fireplace and escape for a few hours.
- Head over to Snow Mountain Ranch YMCA of the Rockies and pay the $15 day use fee to play in their fully stocked craft room.
- Catch an afternoon matinee film at the Foundry Cinema and Bowl typically only $7 for a ticket.
- Score sweet deals on finds no one else will have, or pick a theme and dress up to see town in style. View a list of thrift and consignment shops in the area
- Granby Ranch offers FREE family movie nights at the base. View our online event calendar for dates.